Back to courses
Children’s Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Educator) is a vocational course which prepares students for working in an early years setting.
It is studied at Level 3 which is the equivalent of A Levels. You can choose to study the one year Certificate qualification or the two year Diploma. Time is spent in placements working with children of different ages alongside time spent studying in College.
Head of CPLD
“I am pleased that I took CPLD because the content I’m learning is helping me to understand everything I need to know for the job that I want to do in the future – working in the childcare sector. I’ve enjoyed learning about all the different things children need to grow and develop healthily and happily. Some of these things I wouldn’t have thought of before beginning this course. If I had the chance to do anything differently it would be to make better use of lesson time so that I was less stressed when my teacher wasn’t on hand.” (Hannah)
You must have a definite interest in working with children up to the age of eight. You can progress from this course to direct employment, further training, apprenticeships or Higher Education. Settings could be within nurseries, schools, health or social care sectors.
We follow the Edexcel specification which involves the study of:
- Child development
- Play in early years
- Meeting children’s physical development, physical care and health needs
- Health and safety in early years’ settings
- Supporting children’s communication and language
- Supporting children’s social and emotional development
- Child protection
- Observation, assessment and planning for play and development
- Supporting maths and literacy in the early years
- Reflecting on own early years practice
- Research skills
- Health, education and social services for children and their families
- Food and mealtimes in the early years
In addition to this you will study optional units which are likely to be:
- Working with children with additional needs
- Implementing the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Career development in early years
Early Years Educator; Paediatric Occupations Therapist; Nursery Practitioner; Primary School Teacher; After School Clubs Practitioner.
Two external exams on Child Development and Teaching Literacy and Numeracy in Early Years. The Level 3 qualification is awarded at Pass, Merit or Distinction. Pass is equivalent to an A Level pass at Grade E. Merit is equivalent to an A Level pass at Grade C. Distinction is equivalent to an A Level pass at Grade A.
44444 as a minimum entry requirement.