Year 11 Drama and Theatre Studies Enrichment Activities
Component 1: Section A – The Caucasian Chalk Circle (B.Brecht)
- Research Brecht and find out about his methods of practice (Epic Theatre and Verfremdungeffekt) – there are so many websites out there with lots of valuable information.
- Take a ‘crash course’ into Brecht’s methods,
- National Theatre – An introduction into Brechtian theatre.
- Watch a version of the play (this is an amateur performance).
- Watch other plays by Brecht:
Component 1: Section B – The Glass Menagerie (T.Williams)
- Research Tennessee Williams and find out about his life.
- Watch a documentary on Williams.
- Watch a version of the play. (There are many other versions available – YouTube them! This one has been recorded for film purposes. This one is a performance for the stage.)
- Watch other plays by Tennessee Williams
Component 1: Section C – Live Theatre
- National Theatre are offering a free recorded performance each week during the lockdown period. Every Thursday at 7pm a new performance is released and is available for 7 days. Subscribe to National Theatre on YouTube to view these.
- There are plenty of other websites where you can watch plays online for free and watch some (the RSC plays are fab!).
Component 2 & 3 – Devising and Making Theatre
Both of these units require us to understand practitioner’s methods and styles so researching into these practitioners listed will help develop your understanding.
- Explore Frantic’s website using a special Covid19 feature which allows you to watch interviews, classes and take part in Frantic style warm ups and activities.
- You will also find lots of Frantic videos on YouTube.
- Read a biography.
- Use the internet to research this practitioner.
- There are many videos of Berkoff’s work and documentaries on YouTube.
- Take a crash course in expressionism.
- Research John Godber online (he is a very famous playwright as well as a theatre practitioner).
- Watch online work by Godber on YouTube. BlackEyedTheatre are also sharing work of Godber’s.